Thursday 9 March 2017

BOOK REVIEW: The Star-Touched Queen

Title: The Star-Touched Queen
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication date: 26th April 2016
Format: Hardback
Source: Library


Well, this was definitely one mess of a book.

A very readable mess, but a mess all the same.

Does Maya even have a brain?
Does anyone in this book have a brain?(except the wonderful Kamala, the talking, human eating horse, of course! She's the best)

This whole story seems to revolve around Maya doing stupid things.

Gupta: The palace may try to trick you. You might hear voices, but don't follow them as its dangerous!
Maya: I better follow these suspicious voices I just heard!! *skips away*

Why? WHY?!

And then we have this fantastic conversation:

Amar: Why won't you trust me?
Maya: you won't even show me your face.
Amar: if I showed you my face would you trust me?
Maya: I might start to, yeah.
Amar: YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE!

What even is this conversation?!
What?!

Is everyone in this book on goofy juice?
Maybe it was those crystal fruits they ate earlier...
Never eat crystal fruit guys! It makes you stupid.

The whole plot seemed to be one big mush of not-very-well-explained fluff.
I LOVE folklore and myth, but this was just rushed and confusing with stuff constantly thrown at us.

It was 20% confusing mush and 80% beautiful descriptions.

But as I said before, it was very readable.
So it has that going for it?
And The Night Bazaar was pretty awesome. I hope there's more of that in the next instalment!
More otherworldly markets and mythical creatures please!
Less of Maya being stupid.

If you want to read a really awesome book about death you should give 'Deathless' by Catherynne M Valente a go!
Soooo much better!


3 comments:

  1. Hey the cover was promising even if the book was that much of a mess.
    I'll pass on the goofy juice and give your recommendation of Deathless a try. :)

    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is beautiful!
      I also have the 2nd in this series as an ARC to review. So fingers crossed that it's not as messy!

      All of the books by Catherynne M. Valente are wooooonderful in my opinion! Hope you enjoy her!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. This was a bit meh for me as well, so I'm sorry to hear you felt the same way. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete